Shorts after Cannes
Running as part of the Festival de Cannes’ Official Selection, which shines a light on the very best cinema from around the world each year, the short films competition and La Cinef school film selection play an instrumental role in bringing emerging talent to light. In 2022, 9 short films and 16 school films were screened in Cannes, including 21 fiction films, 4 animated films and 5 début films, representing a total of 18 countries. Six months after their time in the spotlight at Cannes, what does the future hold for the 13 female directors and 12 male directors from the class of 2022?
November marks the end of the international film festival season and is an opportunity to look back on the journey made to date by the films in Competition from the short film and La Cinef 2022 selections. Having toured 21 festivals and 12 different countries, the Cannes 2022 short films and school films garnered a total of seven prizes and awards and featured in 37 selections around the world.
HAI BIAN SHENG QI YI ZUO XUAN YA (THE WATER MURMURS) by Jianying Chen, named Short Film Palme d’or winner last May at the Closing Ceremony of the 75th Festival de Cannes, as well as SAME OLD by Lloyd Lee Choi and UOGOS (CHERRIES) by Vytautas Katkus deserve a special mention, having been selected at five international festivals following the platform they enjoyed at Cannes.
MISTIDA, Portuguese director Falcão Nhaga’s début film from the La Cinef 2022 selection, stole the limelight at the IndieLisboa International Independent Film Festival where it won the EMEL Short Film Grand Prize, and at the Vila do Conde International Short Film Festival, walking away with the Award for Best Director in Take One! Competition, and the Award for Best Film in Take One! Competition for Portugal.
Another remarkable performance for a début film was GAKJIL (PERSONA) by South Korean director Sujin Moon, which won the Cristal for a Graduation Film at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival.
The full list of prizes and awards won by the short films in Competition and in the La Cinef 2022 selection:
- GLORIOUS REVOLUTION by Masha Novikova: Peter Macgregor Scott Memorial Award at the Hamptons International Film Festival
- MISTIDA by Falcão Nhaga: IndieLisboa International Independent Film Festival's EMEL Short Film Grand Prize; Award for Best Director in Take One! Competition, and Award for Best Film in Take One! Competition for Portugal at the Vila do Conde International Short Film Festival
- THE PASS by Pepi Ginsberg: Suffolk County Next Exposure Award at the Hamptons International Film Festival
- GAKJIL (PERSONA) by Sunjin Moon: Cristal for a Graduation Film at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival
- PO SUI TAI YANG ZHI XIN (A SHORT STORY) by Bi Gan: Honorable Mention for Best Director at the Philadelphia Film Festival
The two last highlight events of the year are due to take place by the end of November:
The Stockholm International Film Festival is running from 9 to 20 November 2022. This year, the Swedish festival is highlighting films from Cannes’ short film selection and La Cinef with seven films due to be screened, all in the running for the best short film award. The short-list includes three films that have already won awards at Cannes:
- HAI BIAN SHENG QI YI ZUO XUAN YA (THE WATER MURMURS) by Jianying Chen – Short Film Palme d’or Cannes 2022
- SAME OLD by Lloyd Lee Choi
- CHLIEB NÁŠ KAŽDODENNÝ (LIQUID BREAD) by Alica Bednáriková
- IL BARBIERE COMPLOTTISTA (A CONSPIRACY MAN) by Valerio Ferrara - La Cinef Cannes 2022 First Prize
- GAKJIL (PERSONA) by Sujin Moon
- LE FEU AU LAC (FIRE AT THE LAKE) by Pierre Menahem
- GLORIOUS REVOLUTION by Masha NOVIKOVA - La Cinef Joint Third Prize
Australia’s APRA Screen Music Awards took place on 15 November 2022. Ruby Challenger’s colourful musical MUMLIFE, in selection at La Cinef, was short-listed for the Best Original Song Composed for the Screen category.
The Jury has announced the winners of the 25th La...
The Short Films and La Cinef Jury presided by Yousry Nasrallah and comprised of Monia Chokri, F&eacu...
The 2022 Selection La Cinef
For its 25th edition, La Cinef has selected 13 live-action and 3 animated shorts directed by 6 male...