2020 PRESELECTION CONDITIONS
Unless a special dispensation is granted, a film must comply with the following conditions in order to be submitted:
- have been directed by a student within his/her film school curriculum;
- have been made during the 18 months preceding the Festival;
- have not been presented at major international festivals. However a film can have been shown at a festival in its country of origin;
- not exceed 60 minutes in running-time.
- Films made at Junior secondary school or High school level are not accepted for selection in this section of the Festival, only films produced in the context of a Film school or Film studies department of a University are eligible.
- Documentaries are not accepted.
- It is possible to send a working copy of the film. When filling in the entry form, please state if it is the final version or a working version. Submission of a working copy does not allow for later submission of a final copy unless requested by the Cinéfondation;
- Films from film schools have to be registered with the Cinéfondation Selection and cannot be registered for the Short Film Competition.
- Short films (from 1 to 35 min) can also be registered in the Short Film Corner: a meeting place dedicated to short films within the Festival de Cannes.
Please fill in the application form and upload your film online for 15th February 2020 at the latest
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE UPLOAD OF YOUR FILM
How to upload your film?
We accept all kinds of source files. If your film is already on your computer you can very probably upload it straight away.
If you only have a DVD of your film, please download the manual “How to prepare your movie for digital submission”
Video format requirements:
Accepted file formats (endings):
.mp[e]g / .avi / .vob / .mov / .mp4 / .m4v
H264 (high bitrate if possible: minimum 2MBit/s and Uncompressed (very large files!)
PAL or NTSC (as well as SECAM) from 720x400px up to HD material of 1920x1080px
Audio format requirements
48kHz sound PCM (only uncompressed)
AAC (if possible > 160 kBit/s)
We only accept multiplexed files (i.e. with audio, video and subtitles in a single file). Your film file should not exceed 8 GB. You can upload a film with a resolution of up to 1920x1080 pixels (HD), as long as it does not exceed 8 GB. The higher the resolution, the better the quality of scanning. You can upload a film with a resolution of up to 1920x1080 pixels (HD), as long as it does not exceed 8 GB.
The Selection Committee will screen films:
- WITHOUT subtitles if the original language is French or English.
- WITH French or English subtitles for all other original languages.
For subtitled films, the subtitles must be integrated in to the image.
Preparation of the film
Make sure that your film has no colour bars or any black sequences before the film starts or after it ends. Please also make sure you upload a progressive (deinterlaced) video file, without any horizontal lines across the image (an interlacing artefact known as "combing"), particularly visible during sequences with rapid movement.
The upload requires HTML 5 or Java.
You will find the page in the user’s manual explaining how to rip a DVD or how to reencode your film in order to create a suitable film file for upload on our website. Apart from traditional professional software such as Final Cut or Premiere, we recommend the user-friendly freeware programmes HandBrake & MPEG Streamclip.
Browser & Internet Connection
We recommend the use of Chrome or Firefox, but any browser should work. Caution: the heavier your file, the more you will need a very good Internet connection in order to be sure your film is uploaded properly and rapidly onto our server. If the upload does not work, please try again with a lighter encoding of your film and/or a faster and more stable Internet connection.
No registration fee is required to submit a short film to the Cinéfondation.
IF YOUR FILM IS SELECTED
You will be contacted before the official press conference which will take place mid-April.
You must supply us with a DCP (Digital Cinema Package) with a JPEG 2000 file.
The Cinéfondation will send you all the necessary information in due time, but only if your film is selected.
2020 Rules and regulations
To fill or consult your application, please use the online portal.
5, rue Charlot - 75003 Paris - France
Tel. : +33 (0) 1 53 59 61 21